Desk jobs can wreak havoc on your health. Let’s face it: sitting down for 8 hours a day at a computer doesn’t sound, look or feel healthy! But in this day and age some people just don’t have a choice. So what do you do to keep your mind and body sharp if you work a desk job? Here are some quick and easy tips to beat unhealthy work habits at the office:
- Buy a pedometer. It may sound old school but tracking your steps throughout the day will give you a great idea of whether or not you’re getting the exercise your body needs.
- Bike to work. In Alberta this may be a difficult task in the winter but when the ground is clear why not choose an alternative to driving?
- Take the stairs. Don’t just take the stairs to and from your office at the beginning and end of everyday – walk up and down during your break times. (Don’t forget to have a pair of office walking shoes at your disposal – no heels allowed!)
- Practice good posture. Slumping over your keyboard is a posture no-no! Sit up straight and tighten those core muscles.
- Drink water. All day, every day. Skip the coffee and pop – you’ll be surprised how much better your body and brain function when properly hydrated.
- Exercise during breaks. Going for a quick walk outside or doing a few push ups and squats will not only help your circulation, it will get your heart pumping.
- Plan ahead. Restaurants and fast food are tempting when you’re starved and sometimes lunches out are inevitable. But on most days your in the office bring a healthy bagged lunch. Spend 5 minutes the night before and make sure you also add a couple of healthy snacks like veggies and hummus for those munchy moments during the day.