The cool weather will be here before we know it – it’s a great time to make that “To-Do List” for your fall maintenance tasks. Keeping up with seasonal tasks is not only a great way to protect your home against damage from our harsh Edmonton winters, it’s also a great way to make sure that you are doing your part as a homeowner to keep your property looking and functioning properly. Here are 7 action items to add to your fall home maintenance list:
- Check all of the wood trim around your windows and doors for cracks, holes and peeling paint. Damage to your wood trim can lead to water and ice inside your home in the winter. Repair or seal any holes, cracks or damaged seals. If the damage is too bad, consider replacing the wood altogether while the weather is still agreeable. This would also be the perfect time for a new paint job on your window and door trim.
- Check and clean the gutters and downspouts around your house. To protect them from falling leaves in September and October, consider installing gutter guards.
- Have a look at your roof and replace any damaged shingles that you find. Also have a look at the flshing around your chimney and make sure it is intact. If you are not a fan of heights, you can hire a roofing professional to come and have a look.
- Think about organizing your garage before the chill sets in. Make a spot for the garden tools that will soon be hibernating for the winter! Also, this is the perfect time to give it a good sweep out and make sure that there are no problems with the weather stripping on your doors – mice love warm, uninhabited garages when the chilly weather hits.
- Before the frost sets in, be sure to prune your trees and bushes back, as well as remove dead annuals.
- Schedule appointments for a chimney sweep and fireplace inspection before you start having fires indoors. Chimneys should be cleaned every 1-2 years and inspected to make sure that there are no leaks or damage.
- Another important appointment is a furnace inspection. It’s free and it’s important to make sure your furnace is functioning properly and efficiently, and that there are no carbon monoxide leaks.
Have fun cleaning up and call us if you have any questions about your Edmonton home insurance.